Belleville Attorneys Experienced in Federal Tort Litigation

Standing up for patients injured by the negligence of a federal employee

Accidents can happen anywhere—on the roads you travel every day, the businesses you visit regularly and even when you go under the knife for a medical procedure. However, if that accident is caused by an agent of the federal government, seeking compensation is a whole different ballgame than suing a traditional insurance company.

Located in Belleville, Ill., Cueto Law has helped victims across the U.S. file medical malpractice and catastrophic injury claims against the federal government for the past three decades. Our catastrophic injury attorneys are recognized experts in Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) guidelines, which allow private citizens to sue the government for injuries caused by federal employees.

We don’t believe the person who caused you harm should be exempt from taking responsibility for their negligent actions because of who they work for. Having an experienced federal tort lawyer from Cueto Law on your side takes the financial burden off your family and places it back where it belongs—on the government.

Which Injuries Fall Under FTCA Guidelines for Compensation?

The Federal Tort Claims Act of 1946 was established to protect citizens against government employees who cause them harm, whether by accident, negligence or carelessness. Just a few examples include:

  • Accidents on federally-owned properties – FTCA law can cover damages if you are injured while visiting a federal building. For instance, if your local U.S. Post Office fails to clean up a leak on the floor, and you slip and fall, you should be entitled to compensation. FTCA also protects those on military bases, VA hospitals and other federal facilities.
  • Government negligence or omission – A federal employee’s wrongful or negligent actions can lead to injury and death—even from thousands of miles away or years down the road. For example, two families recently received millions in a settlement from the federal government after their loved ones were killed in a recycling plant explosion caused by a live mortar round that was not properly deactivated by the military.
  • Medical injuries, malpractice and negligence – Federally-funded medical facilities provide excellent care, especially to residents from at-risk communities, but medical injuries can still happen at any time. If you receive inadequate or even careless treatment at any of these federal institutions, talk to the medical malpractice lawyers at Cueto Law:
  • Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) – Southern Illinois alone has more than 70 FQHCs, or community-based medical centers and hospitals, which receive their funding from the government. Healthcare providers who practice in an FQHC do not carry traditional medical malpractice insurance—any claims must be filed on a federal level. The problem is many patients don’t realize their medical center is, in fact, an FQHC, and by the time they file a lawsuit, they’ve missed the statute of limitations period. For a list of FQHCs, visit gov or contact Cueto Law to determine if your injury falls under the FCTA.
  • Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital – If you are injured by a healthcare provider or staff member at a VA hospital, outpatient clinic or rehabilitation facility, you may be eligible to collect damages through the federal government.
  • Military Base medical facilities – Due to the Feres Doctrine, active duty personnel are barred from suing the government for injuries they’ve suffered during their service, including from medical malpractice or negligence. However, their family members and non-military personnel are covered by FTCA if they use the base’s medical providers.

Why Is It Important to Hire an FTCA Lawyer?

Suing the government for injuries caused by a federal employee can be a complicated process, and one mistake can prevent you from getting the compensation you deserve. That’s why partnering with an attorney experienced in FTCA is critical.

  • Under the FCTA, you have two years from the time the injury occurred to file a claim with the agency at fault.
  • Your claim must be filed in writing and include a “sum certain,” or the specific dollar award you require. If the award is not specified, your claim is invalid.
  • The agency has six months to settle with the patient. If there is no investigation or settlement, you have a right to file a lawsuit against the agency in U.S. Federal District Court with a bench trial.

If you have been injured by a government worker or in a federally-run facilitity, don’t wait to take action against those who caused you harm. Contact the FTCA attorneys at Cueto Law now at 618-277-1554.

You Pay Nothing Unless You Recover

Get Your FREE Case Evaluation Today

Skip to content